The education blog that I chose to summarize and blog about was one written by Brittany Maling who's favorite color is green, can figure skate well and when she is bored likes to move. The link for Brittany's blog is http://www.guidetoonlineschools.com/blog/2011/02/03/real-life-teachers-you-wish-you-had/. The reason I chose this blog for my posting is the interesting ideas different teachers used with technology. It is always good to hear what others are doing in the profession I am seeking to obtain. The blog lists several teachers across different subjects integrating technology into their classrooms making their class fun and exciting. Becoming creative helps students to choose to take your class especially if it is not a core subject. Many schools or curriculums struggle with promoting different subjects to students or students show a lack of interest because the course sounds boring. I believe the best way to get across to students is to take a course and make it something the students would enjoy while getting the information across. The teacher needs to relate to students and also relate the information to real life. Students understand if they can relate it outside the classroom.
I watched a movie last night that I have seen numerous times, Mrs. Doubtfire with Robin Williams. One of the scenes in the movie shows Robin Williams at work playing on the tv stage set with dinosaurs. He was rapping and singing about the dinosaurs when the owner came in and watch his performance. This scene in the movie reminds me of teaching and how material can be delivered in two different ways with one of them getting the students attention while the other may not be as exciting.
I hope I can be exciting and memorable to students as the teachers mentioned in the article. Sometimes a little creativity goes a long way.
"Students understand if they can relate it outside the classroom" --EXACTLY! Content-contect. But more importantly if you make it interesting to them by integrating technology, their generation, then they are going to be more interested for sure. I watched Mrs. Doubtfire last night too! Haha. The dinosaur scene so true! Just after these short few weeks that we have been student teaching I've realized how hard it can me to get and keep the students attention, it really is a difficult task. And for us as teachers we need to find new and creative ways to keep their interest that they haven't seen before.
ReplyDelete